If You Are an Injured Maritime Worker, Get the Compensation You Deserve

maritimeworkerHave you been injured while working at a United States base overseas? Are you an American or a citizen of another country who has become disabled on the job while working off American shores? If either of these apply, you may be entitled to benefits, either through the Longshore Harbor Workers Compensation Act or with the assistance of Defense Base Act attorneys.

For maritime employees not covered under the Jones Act, the Longshore Act offers coverage for diseases and injuries sustained while working in American waters. About a half million workers are being served by this piece of legislation. It is also designed to deal with cases of disability and fatality in regard to both maritime workers and certain other kinds of private industry workers. Each year, 27,000 of these cases are brought forward.

It is very important to reiterate that this coverage is also extended to workers who are not United States citizens. If hardship befalls them while on the job, expatriate compensation is available under the law. The most important thing to remember is that regardless of your particular situation, if you feel you are due compensation to cover hospital bills or lost wages, it may be wise to seek the legal advice of professionals who are well acquainted with the laws in question and how they should be applied in your specific case.

Should your employer be unable to compensate you for the accrued expenditures as a result of your injury or other predicament, the program put in place by the Longshore Act has more than $2.8 billion in reserve monies for the purpose of providing benefits. The Office of Workers’ Compensation reports that, during the period between 2011 and 2012, the average wage earned nationally was $647.60 per week. The most one can earn each week is $1,295.20.

The right attorney for you should be able to assist you in getting what you deserve. If you have further questions, comments, or suggestions on anything from details of the Defense Base Act to expatriate compensation, be sure to share them in the section below.